Crystals ~ Carnelian
Carnelian colours range from brownish red to orange, translucent to opaque. The colouring agent is iron, and through heating the colour can
be enhanced. Some sources note that, the colour may improve if placed
out in the sun. I must admit that on sunnier days, the colour of my
bracelet (see above) becomes more vibrant and deeper.
It has a hardness of 7 making it a crystal that is able to withstand
The colour of this crystal relates to the Sun, representing vitality,
life force, power and glory.
Carnelian aligns to the sacral chakra. This chakra governs change,
creativity and passion for life.
Carnelian is classified under the element of fire. Fire relates to
ambition, achievement, inspiration, all creative and artistic ventures,
but it is also potent in destroying what is no longer needed.
Carnelian is truly a power stone
- Inspires us in being more creative in any form
- Promotes passion for life
- Ambition in any thing that you set your mind to
- Vitality, a bit like a boost of Vitamin B
- Protection from negative thoughts and emotions
- Uplifting, assisting in dispelling fears and depression
- Courage, in making positive life choices
- Harmonious and calming thus encouraging deeper concentration
It is truly a stone to awaken you. In times of low energy I find
carnelian gives me the strength to continue. It’s elevating
in so many ways. The personal power cupped with a boost of confidence
gives me the ultimate lift but it still keeps me, grounded.
Physically carnelian eliminates discomfort from the abdominal area. When
this energy centre is restricted I find carnelian brings it back into
balance. I tend to wear a piece of jewellery or use a carnelian
pendulum to bring it back to normal. Another way to receive the energy
of this crystal is to place a piece in a water bottle.
The Egyptians used Carnelian to symbolize the love of Isis. Medallions
of Carnelian were made for the deceased to assure her support in the
If you seek the power of Isis, and the power of the Sun to build your
self confidence and find ways to achieve your potential, wear a
Carnelian is also perfect for devotions to Ceridwen, the Welsh Mother,
and Knowledge Goddess.
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Strengthening identity
- Establishing personal boundaries between self and others
- Balance and negotiations
- For fertility, both physical and mental
- Creativity, artistic or otherwise
- Abundance of all kinds
- Protective against fire, storm and malevolence of all kinds
- As a shield from attempted psychic intrusion into your thoughts
- Guards against accident, home/building renovations and kitchen mishaps
- Love and sex rites
Fire magic is more effective if you circle a red candle with carnelians.
To rekindle the passion in your relationship place a carnelian under
each corner of the mattress
Wear carnelian jewellery to; a halt anger, jealousy, envy and hatred
from all sources including self, also good in overcoming shyness when
speaking in public it gives your voice strength.
Place a carnelian in charm bag for courage, self-esteem, confidence,
creativity and independence.
Wear to bed or place a piece under your pillow to strengthen astral
vision and prevent nightmares.
Place a piece near the front door to invoke protection and invite
abundance into the home. The carnelian may be engraved or fashioned
into an image of a warrior to guard the home, as practiced in
Gemstones of the World, Walter Schumann
Crystal Workbook, Sheril Berkovitch
Health Essentials, Crystal Healing, Simon Lilly
Complete Book of Natural Magick, Cassandra Eason
Illustrated Guide to Crystals, Judy Hall
Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic, Scott Cunningham